CRLF/LF Conversion

Subba Rao subb3 at attglobal.net
Fri Jan 7 12:57:00 GMT 2000

On  0, stefan_kappey at trw-iscs.com wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I hope that you are not already "pissed off" of all the crlf/lf conversion
> discussion between dos and unix ;-)
>
> < SNIP >
>
> What do you think about this? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel for us?
> Is it possible to implement this conversion into Samba or does anybody has
> another, perhaps better, solution for us?

Samba does not touch the contents of the files, which is good. Handling text files
and html files is something, that we as users should take care about. One solution that
was suggested to me was use freeware or shareware products on Microsoft platform.
I downloaded GWD Text editor and use it in the place of Notepad. It converts text
files from different platforms appropriately. You can choose wordpad, but IMHO it is
a bit heavier than GWD. GWD is lightweight and does the job well.

There is another circumlocuted way of converting the files, using programs like dos2unix
and unix2dos. That is not worth it. You are better off using some good text editors on
Microsoft platforms.

Hope that helps.

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com