Help making samba go?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at toad.bu.edu
Wed Jan 5 02:55:19 GMT 2000

Howdy,

I'm hoping someone out there has the time to help get another samba user
off the ground.

I'm trying to share files between my Linux system and the VMware machine
(running Windows 2000 Professional, build 2128).  Samba compiled and
installed without a hitch, and appears to be running.  I'm using the
default config file (examples/smb.conf.default) with only minor changes
(there's an "interfaces" line, the workgroup has been changed to "HOUSE",
and all the logging goes to /var/log/samba/).

However, all attempts to log on from the Windows side result in an error
(incorrect password or unknown username).  What's been especially
frustrating to me is that I'm not seeing *anything* in the samba logs
regarding the login attempt (both smbd and nmbd are running with at debug
level 2).  All I get is:

  (in the samba log)
  [2000/01/04 21:20:59, 2] smbd/server.c:main(735)
  Changed root to /
  [2000/01/04 21:20:59, 2] smbd/reply.c:reply_special(97)
  netbios connect: name1=FLOWERS          name2=FLOWERSNT

  (in the per-machine log)
  [2000/01/04 21:21:19, 2] smbd/server.c:exit_server(408)
  Closing connections

To top it off, if I try to add the virtual machine to the same workgroup
as the samba server, when I use the network browser under W2K to display
other computers in the workgroup ("Show Computers Near Me") I get the
message "<WORKGROUP> is not accessible.  The network name cannot be
found.".

I don't think I'm trying to do anything especially difficult, so what am I
missing?  Your assistance (a pointer to the docs, a push in the right
direction, whatever) would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at larsshack.org> --> http://www.larsshack.org/