Samba and WINS

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Jan 4 19:34:31 GMT 2000

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 Giulio Orsero <giulioo at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 06:33:04 +1100, hai scritto:

> >browsers.  How do I get the name resolving to work without having to create and
> >maintain those LMHOSTS files?
> check with
> winipcfg
> that the win pc's really use samba as wins server

> check if /path/samba/lock/wins.dat
> contains all the name/ip mappings.

> you need "domain master = yes"

Well, "domain master" should *only* be set on one Samba server per workgroup,
and *only* if there isn't an NT domain by the same name on the network.
Turning on "domain master" when it should be off can cause serious problems on
a network.

Incidentally, is there any way to make a Samba server act as a 'virtual'
LMB/DMB for other workgroups?  I've run into cases where it's only practical
to have one Samba server per subnet, and it would be convenient if that Samba
server could collate lists for all workgroups on the subnet (because the Win32
PCs are too clueless to do so properly).  Setting up a virtual server config
for each subnet seems like overkill.

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer