Account management...newbie question

Scott McGillivray McGillivrayS at aadl.org
Tue Jan 4 13:36:34 GMT 2000

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of piloting a Samba server for file/print in a
Windoze NT network.  I'm using Samba 2.0.5 on Caldera OpenLinux 2.3  I've
been managing Windows networks for quite a while, but Linux/Samba is new to
me.

What I want to know is:  Other than making my Samba server a domain
controller, is there a relatively easy way to import my existing user
accounts (and administrative groups) from my NT network into my Linux box?
I don't have a huge user base (only 300 or so) but don't relish the thought
of having to create all of those users again, twice if you count smbpasswd.

If possible, I'd like to use something that's either web-based or runs on
the command line so I don't have to install X on the server.  I know that
might not be possible, but I thought I'd ask... ;)

Since I'd want to use the Samba to serve users' home directories and
departmental shares, this is kind of important.  I'd be willing to do the
daily account administration if I could get an initial dump from NT, but
would rather not have to make things so complicated.

Any help at all would be...well, helpful.  Please feel free to email me if
I've been unclear about this.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott McGillivray