Samba allows clients to mount sub-directories of shares - NT does n't ???

Stacey Chris-cstacey1 CSTACEY1 at email.mot.com
Tue Jan 4 10:20:21 GMT 2000

Dear All,

I was just proved wrong by a collegue when he was saying that he had been
able to
do the following:

net use t: \\sambaserver\share\dir1\dir2

successfully.

My understanding is that NT will not let clients mount at anything other
than the share level.  That is, it will not let you mount subdirs (as NFS
does), so the above will not work.  So, I said that because Samba provides
the same behaviour as an NT server it would not allow the above either.
Well it does!

Samba version is 2.0.6 running on a Solaris 2.6 host.

Although it is a nice feature, I don't want it because I can't support the
same behaviour on our NT servers and that confuses users.

Am I missing a switch or something?

Thanks,
--
Chris Stacey
Lead Systems Engineer (ITS), Motorola Communications Enterprise
mailto: chris.stacey at motorola.com
--
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein