SAMBA digest 2363

Patrick_Scannell at fws.gov Patrick_Scannell at fws.gov
Mon Jan 3 20:44:21 GMT 2000

Date:   Sun, 2 Jan 2000 18:55:12 +0100
From:   "Wout de Jong" <woutdejong at yahoo.com>
To:     <samba at samba.org>
Subject: samba & dns

Hello,

I encountered the following problem:

First I installed samba-server (1.9.18, supplied with Red Hat 5.2) and
everything worked fine. Then I added a DNS (named) at the same machine,
just
as an experiment. Now samba became
unfriendly. The DNS seems to perform very well (nslookup), so I guess
nothing is wrong with /etc/resolv.conf. Also, no other smbds have been
started. Then I performed the 10 tests. On test 3 I got the "unfriendly"
message. Testparm didn't find any errors. Nmblookup also reported no
and "net use x: \\<server>\<dir>". (Error 54: "The network is currently
busy
processing other requests or is out of resources. Try again later, or
verify
your network configuration to be sure that enough network resources are
specified.")

If a connection had been established before named was started, then I could
access my share without problems. (???)

It's a DNS problem.  If Samba can't do a reverse lookup on your client, it
generates an Error 54.
I'm no expert, but fixing DNS fixed that problem for me.

Patrick