Samba and WINS

Alex H. Vandenham alex at avantel.com
Mon Jan 3 19:12:43 GMT 2000

I am setting up browsing accross subnets with multiple workgroups and am having
trouble with name resolution to IP address.  I was under the impression that
WINS would be able to do that so I set up a WINS server  (wins support
= yes) on one segment and the hosts on both segments are configured to point to
that WINS server.  Both segments have a Samba server acting as Master browser.

In this configuration browsing does not work unless I place an LMHOSTS file
containing all hosts (for both segments) on each of the (samba) master
browsers.  How do I get the name resolving to work without having to create and
maintain those LMHOSTS files?

alex