Samba and Win98

B. Gowdridge thedefiant at home.com
Mon Jan 3 07:24:12 GMT 2000

I'm having trouble getting file sharing to work between Linux and Win98.

I have the latest Samba, 2.0.5a, installed on my Linux box, which is
currently running Red Hat 6.1.  I have two shares setup in Samba.  On my
Win98 box, I have file/print sharing setup with two shares.

In the diagnostics, I can get to test #5, which is the nmblookup -B ACLIENT
'*'.  It fails with name_query failed to find name *.

I can list shares for either box from the same box.  For example, Win98,
Network Neighborhood lists itself and its shares, but it doesn't see the
Linux box.  Samba lists it's own shares, but can't connect to the Win98 box.

I have a firewall running on the Win98 box and thought this could be the
problem on more than one occasion.  The live log view doesn't show any
connections from the Linux box, not even any attempts.  I've tried
disabling the entire firewall, but that didn't help.

I don't have a local LAN yet.  This is trying to go over the Internet, from
one box to the other, which happen to be in the same room, sharing the same
Internet connection through a hub, which is @Home Cable Internet.

Can anyone offer any help to solve this problem..?

My two systems are:

Win98 Box:
Windows 98
PII 233
64MB RAM
10Base-T NIC
Firewall blocking most ports under 1024, including fileshares from unknown
systems (the Linux box IP is setup as allowed to connect)

Linux Box:
Red Hat 6.1
486 133
24MB RAM
10Base-T NIC

            B. Gowdridge                  thedefiant at home.com
  >>>  Protect privacy, boycott Intel: http://www.bigbrotherinside.org  <<<
  "If Microsoft can change and compete on quality, I've won." - L. Torvalds
                 In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
University College of the Fraser Valley
Student - CIS Program                          fvgowb3x at ucfv.bc.ca

Amateur Radio Operator
Basic - VE7 ZBG                                ve7zbg at aris.dhs.org