Password server loop

don_mccall at hp.com don_mccall at hp.com
Sat Jan 1 16:16:12 GMT 2000

Hi Warren,
You will get this error if the name you have specified in the 'password
server=' smb.conf entry resolves to your own ip address.  If you are using NIS,
and resolving username/password info there, then you would use security=user,
and would not have/need a password server =  entry....

Hope This Helps,
Don Mccall

>From Warren:

We are running Samba on a HP-UX system running NIS for both
host and UID/password resolution. When a client tries to access
the shares, in the client log file on the server we get the
message:
Password server loop - disable password server rcnfs  password
server not available.

The server is rcnfs and the clients are WindowsNT systems.
Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing this??

Thanks
Warren
Steffen