smb transfer

Craig Weatherhead cweather at fastenal.com
Tue Feb 29 21:41:05 GMT 2000

Hello samba gurus,

 I'm just curious if there is a way to have samba be able to restart a
transfer of a file from the point that it left off? I'm guessing that it was
never intended for that use, but I thought I would ask anyway. I have a
Cisco router with about 95 modems in it and roughly 850 remote NT machines
connected via a WAN (dial-on-demand with Cisco routers).
 My company was doing transfers of data with a software package that was
only able to utilize 40 modems at any given time (which obviously isn't the
best thing since the router has much more capability than the software). So
what I did was put together a program with my other Unix cohorts that
connects up to 90 remote locations at a time and via smbclient....transfers
a zip file that is created on the remote location and pulls it back to my
corporate headquarters on a quad pentiumpro processor box with 512MB of
memory and 90G of disk space running RH Linux 6.1
 It works slicker than anything I've seen....but the only problem is that if
I lose a connection halfway through a transfer....I have to restart the
entire transfer all over again. These zip files I'm pulling over average
approximately 14MB in size and take anywhere from 1-2 hours to complete. I
don't want to have to spend any money on a software product if I don't have
to. Just wondering if smbclient transfers would ever (in the future) have
the ability to start where they left off??

 Am I grasping at straws????

Craig Weatherhead
Fastenal Company
Phone:	(507)-453-8146