HP supporting samba

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Tue Feb 29 19:06:50 GMT 2000

Roberto Mello wrote:

>         I wish HP would more widely recognize that their "CIFS/9000" product is based
> on free software, Samba.

Well yes, so do I :-).

> I could only find the word "Samba" mentioned twice and
> in the Q&A. Not once in the fancy description of all the "features" of
> "CIFS/9000".
>         I am glad that at least they said they will give the enhancements back to the
> community.

HP told me they have customers who are frightened of
"free software", so their marketing dept. don't want
to tell them :-).

HP are working *very* actively on Samba however, and
have already submitted changes back to the main tree and are
a very welcome addition to the Samba community along with
SGI, Veritas, and other vendors.

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.