HP supporting samba

Cliff Green green at UMDNJ.EDU
Tue Feb 29 16:56:51 GMT 2000

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 samba at samba.org wrote:

> Date:   Sat, 26 Feb 2000 21:22:02 -0800
> From:   "ulairi" <ulairi at jps.net>
> To:     <frankie at etsetb.upc.es>
> Cc:     <samba at samba.org>
> Subject: RE: HP supporting samba
>
> HP, in their own inimitable way, will release the product as "CIFS/9000".
> More then likely, it will be a replacement (or a more advanced version) of
> their ASU/9000 LanMan product (Advanced Server for Unix).

There's two CIFS/9000 packages: client and server.  The client bundle is
sharity, and the server bundle is Samba 2.0.6.

> Having had to play with ASU/9000 and HP's all-time favorite game of "oh, you
> need a patch, but for that patch, you need these
> reboot-the-system-after-install patches, too. Oh, and if the system breaks
> after those patches, well, then you shouldn't have installed them", I'd not
> touch CIFS for a while. Get the LanMan product, it's stable and fairly nice.

I've installed CIFS/9000, client and server, and I'm currently running the
server (Samba) with the identical smb.conf I was using with Samba,
compiled from source.  It *is* Samba.  They claim to have added ACL
support, but I haven't gotten around to checking what, if anything, has
been changed/added.

Try:
http://www.software.hp.com/ and click on the CIFS/9000 link in the
Featured Products list on the right side of the window.

Again, the Client depot gets you Sharity, and the Server depot gets you
Samba.

Clifford Green               Internet -  green at umdnj.edu
Academic Computing Services     voice -     732-235-5250
UMDNJ-IST                         fax -     732-235-5252
With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.