HP's CIFS/9000 product

JohnSHolmes johnsh at co.skagit.wa.us
Tue Feb 29 16:33:27 GMT 2000

>From:   "ulairi" <ulairi at jps.net>

>HP, in their own inimitable way, will release the product as "CIFS/9000".
>More then likely, it will be a replacement (or a more advanced version) of
>their ASU/9000 LanMan product (Advanced Server for Unix).

>Having had to play with ASU/9000 and HP's all-time favorite game of "oh,
you
>need a patch, but for that patch, you need these
>reboot-the-system-after-install patches, too. Oh, and if the system breaks
>after those patches, well, then you shouldn't have installed them", I'd not
>touch CIFS for a while. Get the LanMan product, it's stable and fairly
nice.

For what it's worth, I downloaded the HP version of CIFS/9000 and have
installed it on a couple of machines. The installation went very well and I
haven't had any problems so far, there was no need to reboot the system.
It's been up for about a week. I think it does require HP-UX 11.00.

As for the complaint about patch installations, there's been a lot of
changes in Samba releases as well and I've had similar situations as a
Windows developer with Microsoft. That's just part of this business.
Installing the HP CIFS/9000 bundle was easier to install than downloading
the samba binaries and compiling etc. It uses HP's standard swinstall
process and configures the default settings in the smb.conf file (which they
locate in /etc/opt/samba) after asking for the type of security you want and
related server/domainname. All I had to do was add my shares to the smb.conf
file.

I havent tried the LanMan product, what does it do and what does it cost?
CIFS/9000 is free.

John Holmes
Skagit County Information Services
Phone: 360-336-9370   Fax: 360-336-9308