Fw: Windows 2000 breaks the samba client

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 29 16:35:30 GMT 2000

Rogerio Brito wrote:

> On Feb 25 2000, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > This means the basic connectivity is fine between Samba smbclient
> > and Win2k. I will now try and test smbfs (which I *hate*, so bear
> > with me :-).
>
>         Hey, Jeremy, why do you hate it? :-) I want to hate it too if
>         I have any reason. :-))
>
>         Seriously, what are the problems you see with it??

I second that.  Do you hate the implementation or the concept?  The
concept seems invaluable to me: smbclient puts you in its box; smbfs
gives you a file system you can do anything with.

For instance, I like to use afio to back up files from Windows machines
in compressed fashion.  smbclient doesn't let me do that.  I could give
many other examples.

The implementation, now, that could use some work.  For instance, why,
in the name of all that's holy, have a separate process sitting around
for each mount?  Very resource-intensive.

Not to mention the quirky behavior that occurs when folks take down
their machines while they've got mounted shares.  I never do know
whether I'm going to see "Input/output error" or just an empty share.

It was a little better before the Samba team took it over, frankly.  But
I realize that it needs to keep in sync with the rest of Samba.

Sorry for the whine.  Samba *is* a great product that I find
invaluable.  Did I mention that the price is right?  :-)