What will happen when win98 client crashes?

Brock/Gina Nanson brock at direct.ca
Tue Feb 29 16:07:02 GMT 2000

In my mixed win95 and win98 office network, one machine is used mostly to
share files.  My goal is to replace this machine with a linux/samba box to
provide (hopefully) a more stable and secure server (ie, a real server).

Currently, if a client crashes, it leaves files open on the 'server'.  Upon
reboot of the client, these files can't be accessed as the 'server' still
has the old share open.  There is a second share opened during reboot.
Using Netwatcher on the 'server' and disconnecting the old share solves the
problem.

My question is:  How will Samba react to this same set of events?  Will the
share be left open?  How would I fix the problem, assuming there is one,
without disconnecting other clients?  I've been experimenting at home, but
for some unknown reason my '98 box won't crash on demand these days....

Thanks,  Brock