HP supporting samba

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue Feb 29 13:30:37 GMT 2000

ulairi wrote:
| HP, in their own inimitable way, will release the product as
"CIFS/9000".
| More then likely, it will be a replacement (or a more advanced
version) of
| their ASU/9000 LanMan product (Advanced Server for Unix).

	They've admitted it's actually Samba, and will
	be submitting some of their changes back to the community...

| Having had to play with ASU/9000 and HP's all-time favorite game of
| "oh, you need a patch, but for that patch, you need these
| reboot-the-system-after-install patches, too. Oh, and if the system
| breaks after those patches, well, then you shouldn't have installed
| them", I'd not touch CIFS for a while.

	I'll bet you have an H-P 800 series system (;-))
	The 700 folks are civil and helpful: if you have
	the choice, run your services on 700s.

	A **huge** imaging system using hot-failover 800s
	had to have it's terabyte 8"-WORM stackers run on non-
	redundant 715s because the 800 folks didn't think
	scsi pass-through was important enough to escalate (;-))

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com