Failed RPC Call

Pieckiel, Kevin A pieckiel_ka at vdot.state.va.us
Mon Feb 28 16:52:15 GMT 2000

I am totally at a loss.

I use domain authentication off an NT Server 4.0 computer with service pack
5.  I use Samba 2.0.6 running Mandrake 7.0 on my fileserver.  I've tried
both the "stock" version of samba that came with Mandrake and also a fresh
build from the tarball off samba.org's mirror site.  Here is the problem:

I have a series of services established, all of which work.  I added an
additional service called [Integrator] and suddenly I get an error message
in Windows (NT 4.0 and 95) that says an RPC call failed.  I cannot access
any Samba services on the fileserver except through smbclient.  If I comment
out the service and restart smbd/nmbd, everything is okay again.  I put it
back and restart, I get the error message.

Here's the kicker:  Changing only the service name to [Int] and restarting,
the share works great.  I've tried several other names, including
[abcdefgh], [abcdefg], [12345678], [Integration], [Intgrtr], and
[integrator] (all lowercase) and none of them worked.  I get no log entries
when I get the failed RPC calls.

[Integrator] is the last service listed in smb.conf.  See below.  It points
to /home2/integrator.  permissions for /home2 and /home2/integrator are as
follows:

drwx--x--x  13 root     root         4096 Feb 28 10:31 /home2/
drwxrwsr-x   4 root     integrat     4096 Oct 29 12:34 /home2/integrator/

The group only shows up as integrat, but it is really integrator in
/etc/group:

integrator:x:604:kpieckiel,ktaylor,nreed

Is there ANY clue as to why I can't name this service Integrator, or some of
the other service names I've tried?

smb.conf file:
--------------
[global]
   workgroup = STC_SUFFOLK
   announce as = NT
   announce version = 6.0
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = domain
   password server = STCPDC STCBDC1
   encrypt passwords = yes
   map to guest = bad user
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
   wins server = 159.169.40.3
   dns proxy = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = no

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes
   hide dot files = yes
   create mask = 0700

[stc_docs]
   comment = Maintenance related documents
   path = /home2/stc_documents
   public = no
   writeable = no
   printable = no
   write list = @sysops
   force create mode = 0770
   force directory mode = 0770
   force group = sysops
   hide dot files = yes

[Public HTML]
   comment = STC Web page
   path=/home2/httpd/html
   public = no
   writeable = no
   browseable = yes
   valid users = @webmaster
   write list = @webmaster
   read list = @webmaster
   printable = no
   force group = webmaster
   hide dot files = no
   force create mode = 0774
   force directory mode = 0771

[Printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   writeable = no
   printable = yes

[SPM]
  comment = Strategic planning meeting agenda items
  path = /home2/strategic
  browseable = yes
  public = no
  writable = no
  write list = @strategic
  printable = no
  create mask = 0770
  directory mask = 0770
  force create mode = 0770
  force directory mode = 0770
  force group = strategic
  hide dot files = yes

[VGCC_C1]
  comment = VGCC log backup directory for controller1
  path = /home2/vgcc/controller1
  browseable = no
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  printable = no
  create mask = 0000
  directory mask = 0000
  force create mode = 0220
  force directory mode = 0000
  force user = vgcc
  force group = vgcc
  hide dot files = yes

[VGCC_C2]
  comment = VGCC log backup directory for controller2
  path = /home2/vgcc/controller2
  browseable = no
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  printable = no
  create mask = 0000
  directory mask = 0000
  force create mode = 0220
  force directory mode = 0000
  force user = vgcc
  force group = vgcc
  hide dot files = yes

[VGCC_SS]
  comment = VGCC log backup directory for shiftsupervisor
  path = /home2/vgcc/shiftsupervisor
  browseable = no
  public = yes
  writable = yes