unsubscribe

Gian Paolo Valenza gian at dsi.unive.it
Mon Feb 28 08:06:44 GMT 2000

naughton at domino.danielwoodhead.com wrote:

>> There was a posting on Netscape Profiles mapped to network drives that I
was
>> hoping someone could help me with.  Other than setting the key for password
>> encryption, I've never messed with the NT registry keys.
>>
>> I see this folder:
>> \Registry\Machine\SOFTWARE\Netscape\Netscape Navigator\Users =
>>
>> But making this part, I could use some help:
>>                            CurrentUser = Default
>>                                DirRoot = h:\.netscape
>>                                UserName =
>>                                EmailAddr =
>I set my Netscape Profiles dir to subdirectory netscape on my samba [Homes]
>which is mapped via logon-script to H:
>
>I use Netscape 4.51 (German) under win9x. At the first nescape install i
>entered H:\netscape into the ProfilesFolder entry.
>
>I couldn't find the above Registry Key on one of my Win98 machines
>
>I think you can change the Profiles folder in the Preferences Menu.
>Maybe if you change the local mail spool directory in the mail-server section
>

>MB
>--
>---use Linux
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date:   Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:36:31 +0000
>From:   "Kevin (HxPro) Wheatley" <hxpro at cinesite.co.uk>
>To:     samba at samba.org
>Subject: Samba share's from NFS exports file ?

>--------------FA62815C961F3D710EE22394
>
>Hi,
>
>not sure if anybody has any use for this sort of thing, or if anything
>similar exists already... but I've started to write a perl script to
>turn an NFS /etc/exports file into a samba share file that can be
>'include'd into your smb.conf
>
>It's this so far anyway ...
>
>Kevin
>
>--
>| Kevin Wheatley             | These are the opinions of nobody   |
>| Technical Services Manager | and are not shared by my employers |
>| Cinesite Digital Studios   |                                    |
>--------------FA62815C961F3D710EE22394
>
>#!/usr/sbin/perl -w
># Written by <hxpro at cinesite.com> (Kevin Wheatley)
># Work in progress Feb 2000
># version 0.01
>
>use strict;
>use FileHandle;
>
>my ($i, %exports, @fields, $infile);
>
>if ($#ARGV != 0)
>{
>  print STDERR "Usage: $0 <exports file>\n";
>  exit 1;
>}
>$infile = new FileHandle("< $ARGV[0]") || die "Error opening file $infile:
$!\n";
> [...]
>  }
>  print "\n";
>}
>
>exit 0;
>
>--------------FA62815C961F3D710EE22394--
>

>------------------------------
>
>Date:   Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:54:44 -0600
>From:   "Dan Malcolm" <dmalcolm at hiwaay.net>
>To:     <arittner at gris.grad.uconn.edu>
>Cc:     <samba at samba.org>
>Subject: Best way to do logins by group?

>------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF7DFD.2854B0A0
>
>Have you thought about using virtual servers?  Samba can be made to =
>appear as more than one server, each server having seperate resources.
>If you are interested, go to my homepage to see how I did it. =20
>
>http://home.hiwaay.net/~dmalcolm
>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>------------------------------------
>In my house I am king, and my law is, "whatever my wife says shall be
>done."=20
>
>Daniel R. Malcolm
>dmalcolm at hiwaay.net
>Dan.Malcolm at gets-1000.com
>
>------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF7DFD.2854B0A0

><HTML><HEAD>
><META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
>http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
><META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.3013.2600" name=3DGENERATOR>
><STYLE></STYLE>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
><DIV>Have you thought about using virtual servers?&nbsp; Samba can be =
>made to=20
>appear as more than one server, each server having seperate =
>resources.</DIV>
><DIV>If you are interested, go to my homepage to see how I did it.&nbsp; =
></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><A=20
>href=3D"http://home.hiwaay.net/~dmalcolm">http://home.hiwaay.net/~dmalcol=
>m</A></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV>--------------------------------------------------------------------=
>-----------------------------------------<BR>In=20
>my house I am king, and my law is, "whatever my wife says shall =
>be<BR>done."=20
></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV>Daniel R. Malcolm<BR><A=20
>href=3D"mailto:dmalcolm at hiwaay.net">dmalcolm at hiwaay.net</A><BR><A=20
>href=3D"mailto:Dan.Malcolm at gets-1000.com">Dan.Malcolm at gets-1000.com</A></=
>DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
>------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF7DFD.2854B0A0--
>

>------------------------------
>
>Date:   Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:11:34 +0000 (GMT)
>From:   Jeff Pajor <pajor at descent.net>
>To:     samba at samba.org
>Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: NIS+ support in samba....]
>

>Thanks for the replies.... I am stuck on the second step of your

>list... I do not have a smbpasswd file, so I am not sure how I can create

>on... also, when I run smbpasswd (the executable) as root, I get the

                                          Failed
>to find entry for user root.

>Failed to change password entry for root

>Any help you can provide to me would be very apprciated....

>thank you

>Jeff
>pajor at descent.net
>

>On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Gerald Carter wrote:
>
>> Just in case.

WinNT4 PDC.
>accounts that have workstation logon restrictions are unable to connect to
samba shared ressources
>but are able to connect to windows nt shared ressources as they should.
>normally, workstation logon restriction should deny only interactive logons.
>
>the 2.0.5 logfile entry:
>[2000/02/23 18:49:41, 0] rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_sam_logon(392)
>  cli_net_sam_logon: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
>[2000/02/23 18:49:41, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1369)
>  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user XXXXXXXX in
domain YYYYYYY to Domain controller ZZZZZZZZZ. Error was
NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.
>[2000/02/23 18:49:41, 1] smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(532)
>
>the 2.0.6 logfile entry:
>[2000/02/23 19:14:24, 0] rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_sam_logon(392)
>  cli_net_sam_logon: NT_STATUS_INVALID_WORKSTATION
>[2000/02/23 19:14:24, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1431)
>  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user XXXXXXXXXX
in domain YYYYYYYYYY to Domain controller ZZZZZZZZZ. Error was
NT_STATUS_INVALID_WORKSTATION.

>as long as the mentioned logon restriction is in place, no connection can
be made (against 2.0.5 and 2.0.6) - but the error message from 2.0.6 sounds
a little better ...

>is this a known issue (i didn´t find anything in the archives)?
>

>greetings,
>
>Christian Heinz
>100750.65 at compuserve.com
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date:   Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:43:17 -0600
>From:   "Matthew Foust" <mfoust at martinwilliams.com>
>To:     <samba at samba.org>
>Subject: newbie desperate for help
>
>I just installed Samba for the first time.  Installed and setup like a
dream.  Unfortunately, I can't login to save my life.  The server appears
in the Net. Neighborhood, but when I double-click to login, the login
window give the following message:

>Incorrect password or unknown username for \\SERVERNAME
>
>Entering a username and password (from /etc/passwd) returns:
>
>\\SERVERNAME is not accessible.  THe acouunt is not authorized ...
>
>What am I doing wrong?  Here is my smb.conf file:
>
>[global]netbios name = SERVERNAMEworkgroup = ITsecurity =
user[newshare]comment = if you can read this you are too closepath =
/usr/local/newshare
>writeable = yesvalid users = @developerslocking = yescreate mode =
0664directory mode = 0775[devshare]comment = if you can read this you are
too closepath = /usr/local/devsharewriteable = yesbrowsable = uesvalid
users = @developerslocking = yescreate mode = 0600directory mode =
0700[homes]comment = home directories for developerspath = %Hwriteable =
yesvalid users = %Screate mode = 0600directory mode = 0700locking = no

> [...]
>
>BEGIN:VCARD
>VERSION:2.1
>N:Oporto;Ernie
>FN:Ernie Oporto
>EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:eoporto at viragelogic.com
>REV:20000209T194835Z
>END:VCARD
>
>------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BF7E1A.4D04C170--
>

>------------------------------
>
>Date:   Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:25:58 -0500
>From:   eoporto at viragelogic.com (Ernie Oporto)
>To:     <samba at samba.org>
>Subject: phantom adm mount?

>------=_NextPart_000_001C_01BF7E1A.AA4066A0
>
>We have an automounted partition called /auto/adm.  When I try to connect
>with the following in my smb.conf, I get the server's local /var/adm mount
>instead of the location I really  wanted.  Is this a feature in samba that I
>might be able to disable?
>
>        default service = default
>        preserve case = yes
>        short preserve case = yes
>        default case = lower
>        case sensitive = yes
># /auto disks
>[default]
>        comment = automount partition
>        path = /auto/%S
>        read only = No
>        guest ok = No
>        browseable = no
>
>-Ernie
>
>------=_NextPart_000_001C_01BF7E1A.AA4066A0
>	filename="Ernie Oporto.vcf"
>
>BEGIN:VCARD
>VERSION:2.1
>N:Oporto;Ernie
>FN:Ernie Oporto
>EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:eoporto at viragelogic.com
>REV:20000209T194835Z
>END:VCARD
>
>------=_NextPart_000_001C_01BF7E1A.AA4066A0--
>

>------------------------------
>
>Date:   Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:56:08 -0600
>From:   Gerald Carter <cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU>
>To:     mfoust at martinwilliams.com
>Subject: Re: newbie desperate for help
>
>Matthew Foust wrote:
>>
>> \\SERVERNAME is not accessible.  THe acouunt is not authorized ...
>>

>Matthew,
>
>Either enable plain text password authentication on
>(see NT4_PlainPassword.reg or the one for win2k
>depending on your setup) the NT box or enable password
>encryption on the Samba server (see ENCRYPTION.txt).
>

>Cheers,
>jerry
>                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter
>Engineering Network Services                           Auburn University
>jerry at eng.auburn.edu             http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/cartegw
>
>       "...a hundred billion castaways looking for a home."
>                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )

>Date:   Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:57:50 -0800
>From:   "whcc" <whcc at netscape.net>
>To:     <mfoust at martinwilliams.com>,
>        "Multiple recipients of list SAMBA" <samba at samba.org>
>Subject: RE: newbie desperate for help
>
>Have you created an smbpassword file with the users that are allowed to

       Gian Paolo Valenza