Read/Write throughput problem. Any help would be appreciated

Bill Sanborn wsanborn at uswest.net
Sun Feb 27 20:51:40 GMT 2000

    I have 2.0.6 running on a FreeBSD 3.4-current box with a 3com-905b
NIC, linking to a 5-port 10/100 hub at 100Mb, half-duplex. I'm
connecting to the share with an OSR2 box with another 905b at 100Mb,
half-duplex.

    Here's the problem: I can write to the share at about 3.5 MB/s, but
can only read at about 250k/sec. I tried FTPing a file from the BSD box
and got about 3-4 MB/s.  I'm all out of ideas. I've tried tweaking the
cache levels, changing the protocol, adjusting socket options, and
generally anything I can think of.

    Here is my smb.conf

[global]

 debug level = 0
 logfile = /var/log/%m.log
 workgroup = BAGGINS
 server string = bsd
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
SO_SNDBUF=32678 SO_RCVBUF=32678
 write raw = yes
 read raw = yes
 read size = 65536