Samba, Error 53

Daniel Lewis dlewis at caelus.com
Fri Feb 25 16:24:32 GMT 2000

>I have installed samba 2.03 onto Solaris 2.6. The PC network is very =
>basic with a couple of NT 4 and Win 98 machines.
>
>All the machines can see the UNIX server through network neighbourhood =
>and the net view command, but only the NT machines can connect to it. =
>When I use the net view or net use command on 98 nodes I get the =
>following error:
>
>Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be
>located. Make sure you are specifying the computer name correctly, or =
>try
>again later when the remote computer is available.
>
>I can ping and telnet from 98 to Unix and vice-versa.=20
>
>I have tried many different options. This is driving me up the wall =
>
>Any pointers or help would be very gratefully received.

One suggestion would be to try something like :

net use n: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\ShareName

(useing your Solaris ip address instead of its NETBIOS name.)

This has worked for me when I was having a WINS problem,
(especially when the client and server are on different ip subnets.)

Daniel Lewis
Caelus Inc,
Spokane WA.