Login annoyance

Matthew Foust mfoust at martinwilliams.com
Fri Feb 25 06:32:30 GMT 2000

OK, now I have everything working.  I have my smbpasswd file setup and I verified that it is working.  Very cool.  I still have one question regarding an annoyance with the login window.  Although my users and I can log in successfully, the window still has this annoying message (see attachment):

Incorrect password or unknown username for:
   \\SERVERNAME

Can I make this go away?  Is it a result of an incorrect configuration on my server?  I should be happy that everything is working, but then I wouldn't be a good UNIX geek.

pertinent details:

Sun Ultra E 5 w/ Solaris 2.6
Samba 2.0.5
client is NT Workstation 4 w/Service Pack 5
I log in as Administrator with no password

One last note, I DON'T encounter this problem when using Thursby DAVE 2.51 from a Macintosh.

Matthew Foust
Technology Manager
Martin/Williams Advertising
60 South Sixth Street, 28th Floor