problems upgrading to samba 2.0.5a

Chris R. Martin nakor at texas.net
Fri Feb 25 03:29:47 GMT 2000

I previously had an older version of Samba installed with the following
smb.conf:

; Make sure and restart the server after making changes to this file, ex:
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

[global]
; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
    guest account = nobody
    log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
    lock directory = /var/lock/samba
    share modes = yes
    workgroup = ACMELABS
    security = share

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    read only = no
    create mode = 0750

[public]
    comment = Temporary file space
    path = /public
    read only = no
    public = yes
; Make sure and restart the server after making changes to this file, ex:
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

[global]
; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
    guest account = nobody
    log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
    lock directory = /var/lock/samba
    share modes = yes
    workgroup = ACMELABS
    security = share

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    read only = no
    create mode = 0750

[public]
    comment = Temporary file space
    path = /public
    read only = no
    public = yes

Basically, I have a Linux box and I want /public to be accessible to the
windows machines on the local network without any security, and I want home
directories to be accessible with a username and password. Now with 2.0.5a,
the windows machines prompt for a password for user "IPC$" when trying to
browse the shares, and I can't list them on the Linux machine:

server:/home/chrism# smbclient -L server
added interface ip=192.168.1.1 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
in a)
server:/home/chrism#

(at the password prompt I simply pressed enter)

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Chris Martin