Fw: Windows 2000 breaks the samba client

Tom Zerucha tz at execpc.com
Thu Feb 24 22:29:55 GMT 2000

I reported this twice, and you can find info in the archives going back
to december describing this exact problem.  I even included the debug
output.

It does connect if I already know a share but it doesn't list shares.

They've must of known about it for a long time, but no one who appears
to develop for samba has even acknowledged any of the messages or asked
for more information or simply said we don't give a rat's rear about W2K
compatability, which would be more courteous.

It is at least partially W2Ks problem - I used TCPdump and apparently
they are negotiating a very old variant of the SMB protocol, so tcpdump
can't decode the packets.   Or they may have added something too new.
In any case W2K isn't handshaking with smbclient the way it does with NT
or 98.

This is suspicious because Microsoft had to know that samba was out
there when it created the W2K stack, so probably intentionally mutated
it in some way to make it not work right.  But they did the same with
windows when DRDOS threatened them.