(RPC) protocol error occurred

Michael Doerner michael at baypc.co.nz
Thu Feb 24 22:13:26 GMT 2000

Hello,

I am running Samba 2.0.6 on a SuSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.13 since months now very
successfully. Especially since version 2.0.6, all former problems (oplocks)
are gone.
Wonderful product, excellent work. Thanks a lot!

Samba is running in an NT domain (security=domain). Since yesterday the
workstation that I am using for most of my work (Windows NT 4.0, service
pack 5) comes up with the following error when I try to access:

\\linux01 is not accessible
A Remote Procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred.

- The PC (Linux01) is still shown under network neighbourhood, also seen
with "net view"
- I can browse and access all other PCs (NT server and also another
Samba/Linux box!) from network neighbourhood.
- I have no problem to access \\linux01 from the NT-server (NT 4.0, SP5).
- My drive mappings to Samba shares on linux01 are still working, like "net
use m: \\linux01\data"

Very strange: The situation still persists after restarting the NT
workstation and also the Linux box !????

Any clues?
Thanks,
Michael Doerner