[Fwd: Re: NIS+ support in samba....]

monyo at home.monyo.com monyo at home.monyo.com
Thu Feb 24 20:33:27 GMT 2000

>Thanks for the replies.... I am stuck on the second step of your
>list... I do not have a smbpasswd file, so I am not sure how I can
>create on... also, when I run smbpasswd (the executable) as root, I
>get the following:

No!

At first you have to create smbpasswd file using smbpasswd command.
Usually smbpasswd file will be created at /etc/smbpasswd or
/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd.

Then you can do

|(2) convert existing smbpasswd to NIS+ table
|
| # cat smbpasswd | source/script/mknissmbpasswd.sh

And if you are familiar to NIS+, you can directly modify
smbpasswd.org_dir instead of executing mknissmbpasswd.sh.

Anyway you need to know both NIS+ and Samba well, especially NIS+.
Samba needs an additional NIS+ table to authenticate, so you have to
manage NIS+ non-standard table with NIS+ commands.

-----
Motonobu TAKAHASHI                    mailto:monyo at samba.gr.jp
Samba Users Group Japan               http://www.samba.gr.jp/