Samba, Error 53

George Crook g.crook at optichrome.com
Thu Feb 24 21:11:13 GMT 2000

I have installed samba 2.03 onto Solaris 2.6. The PC network is very basic with a couple of NT 4 and Win 98 machines.

All the machines can see the UNIX server through network neighbourhood and the net view command, but only the NT machines can connect to it. When I use the net view or net use command on 98 nodes I get the following error:

Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be
located. Make sure you are specifying the computer name correctly, or try
again later when the remote computer is available.

I can ping and telnet from 98 to Unix and vice-versa.

I have tried many different options. This is driving me up the wall !!!!!!!!!!!!

Any pointers or help would be very gratefully received.