newbie desperate for help

Matthew Foust mfoust at martinwilliams.com
Wed Feb 23 19:43:17 GMT 2000

I just installed Samba for the first time.  Installed and setup like a dream.  Unfortunately, I can't login to save my life.  The server appears in the Net. Neighborhood, but when I double-click to login, the login window give the following message:

Incorrect password or unknown username for \\SERVERNAME

Entering a username and password (from /etc/passwd) returns:

\\SERVERNAME is not accessible.  THe acouunt is not authorized ...

What am I doing wrong?  Here is my smb.conf file:

[global]netbios name = SERVERNAMEworkgroup = ITsecurity = user[newshare]comment = if you can read this you are too closepath = /usr/local/newshare
writeable = yesvalid users = @developerslocking = yescreate mode = 0664directory mode = 0775[devshare]comment = if you can read this you are too closepath = /usr/local/devsharewriteable = yesbrowsable = uesvalid users = @developerslocking = yescreate mode = 0600directory mode = 0700[homes]comment = home directories for developerspath = %Hwriteable = yesvalid users = %Screate mode = 0600directory mode = 0700locking = no

Matthew Foust
Technology Manager
Martin/Williams Advertising
60 South Sixth Street, 28th Floor