Win2k & Samba compatibility?

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Wed Feb 23 20:34:41 GMT 2000

"Romeril, Alan" wrote:

> You were right all along of course, sorry if I`ve sent you on a wild goose
> chase.
> And sorry for sending you another 2 meg of debug, but this one might
> actually be what you want.

Close - but you haven't given me the name of the directory that
has zero permissions. I need the exact name of the directory
that ends up with mode 000.

> This is a user w2ktest2 logging on to and off from a W2k box, after having
> the profile created with NT4.
>
> It does a call_nt_transact_query_security_desc
> and gets an error packet
> smbd/error.c:error_packet(127)
> 32 bit error packet at line 81 cmd=160 (SMBnttrans) eclass=c0000023 [Error:
> Unknown error (35,49152)]

This is actually ok, and is the correct response. NT does
a query_sd with a buffer size of zero, Samba returns the
c0000023 error (no space), then NT re-does the query with
a proper buffer size. It does this all the time.

I've looked through this log and can't find any problems
in it.

> I had an idea, and set the samba server to use LANMAN2 as the protocol, and
> roaming profiles work fine with Win2k!!! All of the permissions get written
> back fine.

Easier to add "nt smb support = no" and it should have the
same effect.

What I *really* need is the following :

1). Create the profile from NT 4.x.
2). Ensure the permissions are correct.
3). Do an ls -lR >logfile on the profile
directory - store this.
4). Set smbd up in debug level 10.
5). Have the user log on/log off from W2k.
6). Do an ls -lR >logfile2 on the profile
directory.

Send me *all* the logs from the above (the
ls -lR logs, the smbd logs).

It's frustrating, I keep getting fragmented bits
of info from you but never enough to fix it :-) :-).

Thanks for your help though, I really appreciate
it !!!

Jeremy.