Problem with moving read-only files

J. Mostert J.Mostert at geodelft.nl
Wed Feb 23 16:03:56 GMT 2000

I found a problem with moving files from one network-dir to another
network-dir..

Suppose there is FileA.txt, owned by user UserA, group GroupA,
permissions 764. This file is located in /tmp/DirA, owned by user UserA,
group GroupA, permissions 775.
When I log on to the domain as user UserB and connect to the server, I
can see my homedir as for instance drive G: In my homedir there is a
symlink to the /tmp directory called tmp.

Now I try to move file FileA.txt from G:\tmp\DirA to G:\, the root of my
homedir with Windows Explorer. A window appears with title "Confirm File
Replace". It asks if I want to replace the existing file FileA.txt.
When I answer with "Yes", the next message is the error message: Cannot
move FileA.txt: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

After clicking OK, I see that there is a file FileA.txt in G:\.
Double-clicking it results in a warning from Notepad that I do not have
the permission to open it. Looking in my homedir under Unix shows that
FileA.txt is owned by UserA, group GroupA and has the permissions 600.
All I can do with this file is deleting it.

My opinion is that the moved file should at least have the same
permissions as the original permissions, in this example 764. This is
what happens if you try to move the file under Unix.

Samba version: 2.0.6
OS:    HP-UX 10.20

Kind regards,