please help with new samba

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 23 15:35:40 GMT 2000

"Chris R. Martin" wrote:

> I upgraded my samba package to frozen (2.0.6), and now it doesn't work with
> my old smb.conf file. I've been up and down the samba docs and I've tried
> all sorts of options which don't seem to have any effect (which probably
> means I'm missing something basic). I can't even list the shares on the
> server itself:
>
> server:/etc/samba# smbclient -L server
> added interface ip=192.168.1.1 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> Password:
> session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a
> Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
>
>  From a windoze machine, I'm asked for a password for \\SERVER\IPC$
> connection, and I can't browse the shares. This used to all work fine with
> the old samba. Basically I want the windoze PCs on the local network to
> have complete password-free access to /public, and still keep home
> directories private. Here's my (old) smb.conf:
>
> ; Make sure and restart the server after making changes to this file, ex:
> ; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
> ; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
>
> [global]
> ; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
>     guest account = ftp
>     log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
>     lock directory = /var/lock/samba
>     share modes = yes
>     workgroup = ACMELABS
>     security = share
> ; added EnablePlainTextPassword to Win98 registry
> ;   encrypt passwords = yes
>
> [homes]
>     comment = Home Directories
>     browseable = no
>     read only = no
>     create mode = 0750
>
> [public]
>     comment = Temporary file space
>     path = /public
>     read only = no
>     public = yes
>
> please, if there's anything I'm missing, let me know... this has been the
> only "problem" I've seen with potato.. but it's a biggie for me.

Chris, I strongly suggest you get on the Samba mailing list for stuff
like this.  The Samba developers hang out there and are very helpful:

http://lists.samba.org/cgi-bin/weblist?list=SAMBA;newuser=1

It's not super-high-volume, either, like debian-users...

Meanwhile, I've forwarded this to the list; this is probably old hat to
somebody there.

How about it, guys?