NIS+ support in samba....

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Feb 23 13:59:47 GMT 2000

Jeff Pajor wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know this has probably been spoke about before,
> but I'm looking for some documentation or other
> info on setting up NIS+ with samba.... I currently
> have samba running on the NIS+ master, but am having
> trouble setting up authentication again the NIS+
> passwd tables.  I'm also not exactly sure
> where smbpasswd comes into play with NIS+  and if I
> actually need to run that everytime I add or change
> a user.  Any help or links or sample conf files
> would be great to help me out!

Jeff,

If you are using plain text authentication, Samba will simply
perform a getpwnam() call which will obtain the user information
from the passwd.org_dir map automatically.   An smbpasswd file
only comes into play if you have configured Samba to use
password encryption.

I'm not a bid fan a NIS+ so my opinion is that sharing
your smbpasswd file as a NIS+ table is a bad idea.
Very easy to use ssh/rsync though to distribute the smbpasswd file
securely.

If you need more information, let me know.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )