password server = %M

Michael Gerdts gerdts at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 21 18:15:34 GMT 2000

Sorry if that subject scared you.

Our labs are made up of a mixture of Unix clients and servers, Netware
servers, and NT clients.  All logins to the NT clients are done through
Novell's client32.  According to our Netware admin, when a person logs in
via client32, a local NT account is created for the user.  When the user
logs out, the local NT account is deleted.

This leads me to believe that for the machines that are configured this way
(and I trust the admins), it would be feasible to have Samba set the
password server as the NT machine that the person is coming from.   That
is, in the global section:

     password server = %M

Then in each share...

     hosts allow = @ntclients

I (possibly foolishly) trust the NT clients for file access about as much
as I trust the Unix (through NFS) clients to provide an accurate username
or UID.

Is there something horribly broken with this idea (that is, does it open up
holes bigger than NFS)?  Is this feasible without modification to the Samba
source code?  If it requires source code modification, would it be a huge
endeavor to make %M usable with "password server"?

Thanks much,
Mike

--
Mike Gerdts