Authentication requests from NT server fail

Nick Brennan nbrennan at lhr-co.gb.dhl.com
Mon Feb 21 15:54:33 GMT 2000

I'm currently running Samba 2.0.5a on a HP-UX 10.20 file server, to allow clients running NT4.0 (sp5) to use the resource over the LAN.

Samba has initially installed and run perfectly, connecting shares for 150 or so clients. The clients are mapped to their group share as part of a login script on NT.

A copy of the config file is attatched. The security is set to server, server details are set, encrypt passwords is enabled.

This config file has been working fine. Lately, a problem has started appearing where the NT client attempts to connect to the samba share, and samba attempts to check the local smb_passwd file for verification, even though the security is set to server.

  startsmbfilepwent: unable to open file /opt/samba/private/smbpasswd
[2000/02/16 13:47:00, 0] passdb/passdb.c:(149)
  unable to open smb password database.

The NT account is then locked out after the user logs out. However, when I re-enable the user, the share connects. Help!!

The following error message is sometimes returned when the connection request runs;

call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.

Can you tell me what this message means?

Many Thanks

Nick Brennan

P.S. - Great software!!!!