Connection hangs...

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 15:08:25 GMT 2000

David Lee said:
> In problem-fixing, the "nicest" problems are those reproducible on
> demand. Alas, this one is not nice.
>
> System: Samba 2.0.6 on Solaris 2.7 (also see similar on Solaris 2.6).
>
> Symptom (log file):  [2000/02/15 09:27:30, 0] ../lib/
> util_sock.c:read_socket_data(474) read_socket_data: recv failure for
> 4. Error = Connection timed out

This prompted me to look and see if we had any similar
error messages - and yes we did - though I am unaware of user problems :-)

We are running Samba 2.0.6 on Solaris 2.5.1 and 7.

>From a quick survey - in our case the connections were closed forwith by the
server - there were some cases, though as I say no user complaints.

>From examining the code - this error causes read_smb_length() to fail causing
server exit - this is within reply_writebraw().  I would have thought
may be naively, that the server exit would cause the client to re-establish
the connection - though I can find no evidence for this.