Win2K and samba 2.0.6

Mike Squires mikes at sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu
Mon Feb 21 05:28:40 GMT 2000

>   1) RE: Windows 2000
> 	by   "Alex Yu" <yua at artlover.com>

2.0.6 when compiled with crypt support (FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE) is working fine
with encrypted passwords where the FreeBSD host is a domain member and I'm
athenticating against the domain PDC.

I had to update to 3.4-STABLE from 3.4-RELEASE to get speeds up to something
similar to 3.3-RELEASE, and as of the 2/14 version of 3.4-STABLE I am having
the smbpasswd coredump mentioned by two other users on the netnews samba
group; however, smbpasswd was able to attach the server to the domain before
dying, and the crash has no functional effect.

Getting speeds up requires some entries in the smb.conf file and some
corresponding kernel changes provided by tdwyer at io.telstra.com.au:

In smb.conf:

#per tdwyer at io.telstra.com.au
# 3.4-STABLE
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
   read raw = yes
   write raw = yes
   shared mem size =  6291456

In the kernel config file (3.4-STABLE)

options 	"SHMMAX=(SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE+1)"
options 	SHMMAXPGS=2048

This causes smbd to use about 8MB per process, according to top.

Mike Squires