pppd/smbclient question

Jeremy Price jepri at mazuma.net.au
Sun Feb 20 23:32:14 GMT 2000

I have been trying to edit ip-up and ip-down so that when the link goes
up or down it sends a message to my windows machine for winpopup.  I
edited the last line of ip-down to look like this:

echo "The link is down" | smbclient -M mymachine

when I invoke ip-down by hand, it works fine.

when I kill the power to the modem, I get no message.  I logged the
output of the command, and it runs fine, no errors.  I read in the pppd
manpage that it redirects all scripts to  /dev/null/.  Is this the
problem, or is it a shell thing?

I also tried making a refreshing webpage so I could mount it over samba
and have it sitting in a browser winow, but something is caching and the
browser doesn't change when the page does.

Any hints?

Jeremy