Browsing a subnet from behind a nat firewall.

Scott Hess scott at avantgo.com
Thu Feb 17 23:06:03 GMT 2000

I'm setting up VMWare to provide access to NT for the couple minutes a day
where it makes much difference.  I've set it up with the host-only emulated
network ipmasqueraded/nat'ed to the real network.  Everything works, I can
browse the web, mount shares, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, NT doesn't like not being able to send out broadcasts
looking for the domain controller, and to figure out what's out there in
terms of filesystems and the like.  I'm been trying to setup samba to proxy
such things from the emulated private network out to the real network.  The
latest attempt involved setting the wins server to the broadcast address of
the real network, and setting wins proxy to yes.  No go.  I also tried
setting wins enable to yes, again no go.

What I need is for samba to catch broadcast packets, and to proxy the
request to the broadcast address on the public network, then send the
response back to the private network.  I've been trying to follow
directions from various "Making samba work across subnets" emails, with no
luck.

Thanks much,
scott