Installation for a Newbie

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Feb 17 17:16:22 GMT 2000

Hi Matt,

Your very first step is to follow the 10 step predefined diagnostic
outlined in file DIAGNOSIS.txt, which comes with your Samba distro. On an
RH61 box it's probably in directory /usr/doc/samba-2.0.3/docs/textdocs, or
something like that. Also, if you're using some hairy smb.conf that came as
example code, you might want to temporarily try an ultra-simple smb.conf:

netbios name=<linux host name>
workgroup=<same workgroup as on the Windows client>
encrypt passwd=<no on early w95 or wfw, yes for later win OS's>
[homes]
read only=no

The stuff in angle brackets are not literals, they're descriptions of what
to put.

Steve Litt