Installation for a Newbie

Matt Neimeyer neimeyer at youth-guard.org
Thu Feb 17 00:48:47 GMT 2000

Okay...

Here's what I'm trying to do.

I have an existing NT Domain with a PDC and I have a brand new Linux Box
that I want to join that domain.

I found the Docs and I read the Joining an NT Domain with Samba 2 file...

I used SAMBA STATUS to ensure that the services were stopped.

Then as per the docs I used: smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC

And got the following...

modify_trust_password: Can't resolve address for PDC
2000/02/16 19:36:04 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain DOMAIN.
Unable to join domain DOMAIN.

I also tried TESTPARM and it said I was clean...

I'm running RedHat 6.1 and I loaded Samba as a package. I am using DHCP but
I can change that. Someone else's post suggested that might be a bad
thing... I'd prefer to figure out how to make DHCP work since I'm going to
be installing Linux on my laptop and that will be moving from one domain at
home to the domain at work (identical structure to the domains in both domains)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Matt