DHCP & interfaces

Doug Haigh dhaigh at medacoustics.com
Wed Feb 16 21:56:59 GMT 2000

Setup: I am running a fresh install of RedHat 6.1 with Samba 2.0.5a installed.
My samba machine receives its ip address through a WinNT DHCP server.

Problem: When I start Samba, it tries to use the loopback adapter to broadcast
its NetBios messages accoridng to tcpdump.

Solution #1: Set interface to use in smb.conf file.

This is rejected since the address of the interface is issued by the DHCP
server, i.e., it changes frequently forcing me to change the smb.conf
frequently.

Solution #2: Fix /etc/hosts file as specified in GOTCHAS.txt.

I changed the entry in /etc/hosts from

127.0.0.1 LinuxStation.ourdomain.com loopback
127.0.0.1 loopback

This resulted in nmbd spitting out errors about not being able to find the IP
address of LINUXSTATION (the samba host's name). Since this is a DHCP device,
there is no entry in /etc/host of the form

205.123.45.001 LinuxStation.ourdomain.com

So....

How exactly are you supposed to get a samba server working on a machine that is
assigned its ip address through DHCP?

Doug Haigh