Installation for a Newbie

Matt Neimeyer neimeyer at youth-guard.org
Wed Feb 16 14:50:56 GMT 2000

I'm utterly new to Linux and Samba but we will be Beta Testing a Linux
version of our product soon and so I need to learn. I've got RedHat 6.1
installed and running and I can browse the Internet... BUT I can't get
Samba to do what I think it should be able to do....

I've created an account on my NT Domain Server (NT 4.0 PDC SP6) for the
NetBios name of the Linux Machine.

I've tried to log in from Samba... But it just gives me strange messages I
don't understand... I installed Samba as a package during my Linux set up
so I assume (and this could be the problem) that like the other packages
it's ready to roll... I can run the various smbxxxxx programs but they
don't seem to do anything. (Well I mean I can run them and get a list of
possible parameters but when I try and use the parameters they error) I
still can't see my Linux machine in Network Neighborhood... I can browse to
the Samba Web Interface thing and make and save changes... I've even tried
it all while logged in as ROOT... No dice.

Is there any simple How-To that can get me going? I've tried the Man Pages
for Samba and they don't seem to help me... I've tried searching for a
How-To and I didn't find anything I could use...

At this point I don't even know where to start or where to look... Help?

I appreciate any kind (and informative) words...

Thanks

Matt