Sudden performance problem

Hall, Ken (ECSS) KeHall at exchange.ml.com
Tue Feb 15 14:13:17 GMT 2000

In preparation for upgrading my LAN 10 100base/T, I replaced the NE2000 card
in my Linux box with a Realtek 10/100 PCI card.  It wasn't my first choice,
but there was a problem with the other card so I fell back to what I had on
hand.

It seems to work fine with everything but Samba.  Suddenly the performance
of that part of the server is abysmal.  At one point I thought the server
had crashed, but telnet sessions were still working fine and the load on the
server was negligible.  Eventually it did complete the function normally,
and everything looks ok.  There are no errors in the server logs, and no
errors reported by netstat.

For the time being I'm going to put back the old card, but does anyone have
any ideas why this should happen?  It's Samba 2.0.3 on a Linux 2.0.36
system.

Thanks much.