printing problems

Robert J Bartels rbart2 at pop.uky.edu
Mon Feb 14 22:58:25 GMT 2000

I'm trying to get a printer share running off a Redhat 6.1 machine using
samba 2.0.5a.

I have the printers set up on the samba redhat box. They work great from
the command
line etc.. lpr -Pprinter file... All users can print from the RH box..

The problem is that when net users print to the shared printers nothing
happens..
Well nothing in the printer room atleast! All the documents get queued up
in the
/var/spool/samba directory.  I've tried changing the print owner from
nobody to users
on the system as well as root! They still all get sent to /var/spool/samba
where they
sit until I delete them.. Checking the print queues out with lpc and lpq
reveal nothing
waiting to be printed....

All of the shared printers are browsable from the network neighborhood.
Although I haven't
automated the drivers (yet).

Permissions on the /var/spool/samba directory are drwxrwxrwxt so user
NOBODY should be
able to print... errr!

Does anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong?? I think I've tried every
config switch
with swat to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Robert Bartels
Network Administrator