I have a problem with Samba and Shared Memory on Solaris

Howard S.Modell howard.s.modell at boeing.com
Mon Feb 14 22:48:39 GMT 2000

Up until recently, I've been running a SAMBA 2.05a server on my Solaris 2.4
system.  A week or so ago, I had to replace one of the drives, unfortunately
the one that /var lives on.  After a reboot last Friday, the SAMBA server
stopped working (the client can still talk to other machines and nmblookup
still works, for example).

Following a "smbclient -L myhost" comand, in the logs, I see the following:
[2000/02/14 14:17:14, 0] locking/shmem_sysv.c:sysv_shm_open(597)
  ERROR: root did not create the semaphore
[2000/02/14 14:17:14, 0] locking/locking.c:locking_init(174)
  ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes

one of my colleagues says I did something to klong "shared memory".

What do I need to look at or check to find out what's wrong?  What should
I be looking for?  the system logs show nothing strange during the reboot.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

H.Modell