One spooling, multiple print

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Sun Feb 13 00:00:16 GMT 2000

[Mat]
> whenever an user print a document on a shared printer the document
> will be printed twice:
>
> - once in a printer connected to Linux
>   (through lpr or smbprint?)
> - once to another shared printer

Piece of cake.  Use an lpd input filter to route the document off using
`smbclient' or whatever (see the samba docs for how to use smbclient to
print), without changing the file itself.  (I.e. the input filter
prints out the same file it gets in.)  Then let lpd do its normal thing
with the document after the input filter is done with it.

Alternatively, the input filter can issue two smbclient calls and leave
lpd with nothing left to do.  That way both printers can be elsewhere
on your 'doze network if you wish....

Peter