Couple quick questions (maybe ;)

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Fri Feb 11 17:39:53 GMT 2000

"Scott." wrote:

> I have a couple questions:
>
>         1) how can i allow users who are previously authenticated against
>         an NT server to print to a shared printer without being prompt for
>         a password? If i remove the "guest ok" or "public" (set them to
>         "no"), then the users get prompted for a password. They have
>         not authenticated against the samba server, just the NT domain
>         controller. is this possible?

Make the Samba server a member of the NT domain, and set
security=domain. Read the docs before doing this :-)

>         2) is it possible to get a list of available workstations on
>         a subnet using the broadcast address? or do i need to specify
>         a WINS-server/workstation to be able to see everyone else?
>         currently, using a small script i wrote, i can find most people
>         by calling "nmblookup -B 123.123.255.255 workstation" to get
>         the IP, and then call "smbclient -I -L ip_address workstation" to
>         get a listing of shares for that workstation, and it lists some
>         other workstations as well. just curious if there is a command
>         that uses the broadcast to query all computers in that subnet
>         and can return a list of those computers.

smbclient -L \* is what you would use, but Microsoft's broken IP stack
doesn't respond to messages to the broadcast address. Try "ping
255.255.255.255" sometime, and all your windows boxes will remain
silent.... You can certainly request the browse list though.

HTH

Mike.