Samba disappearing from WINS

Brian Bender bbender at vocollect.com
Fri Feb 11 16:58:12 GMT 2000

FWIW, I've got 2 of 3 Samba boxes (Linux/Intel) that do the same thing.
Seems to be once every 3 to 4 weeks, haven't been able to attribute it to
anything yet.  I have to kill it and restart nmbd to re-reg with the WINS
server.  Both the machines that do this to me always go away at the same
time.  <:-\

Actually, speak of the devil, they're in that state right now.  The two that
I lose are versions 2.0.6 and 2.0.5a.  The one that _doesn't_ periodically
die is 1.9.18p10 (original RPM on a RedHat 5.2 box, not running smbd, only
running nmbd to give me dynamic DNS via WINS & MS' DNS).  NT WINS servers
are NT4 SP5.  Again had to kill nmbd and restart it to reregister.

Nothing at all in the .nmb logs, but I think they were running "-d 0".  I'll
try upping the debug level to 1 or 2 (suggestions, anyone?) and see if I get
anything useful out of the next incident...

 - Brian Bender
   Vocollect, Inc.
   Pittsburgh, PA, USA