Domain logons working

naughton at domino.danielwoodhead.com naughton at domino.danielwoodhead.com
Fri Feb 11 16:37:47 GMT 2000

I finally got the Domain logons working.  I've even got a logon script
happening.  It's a pretty simple one:

net use n: \\server\share  (I've tried to start out slow)

I have a x86 RH61 with 2.06.

I'm working up towards roaming profiles.  I have a few questions?

Before I added the "logon drive = M:", it kept putting the home directory in Z:
Does adding the [homes] section force NT to logon and map a home share.  I guess
I couldn't figure out why it was mapping my home directory in the first place (I
just used regular shares like [Fred's home]).  Does the [homes] section force a
home share to be mapped, and if you don't specify which one, it starts at Z:?  I
have a Win95 box to add to the home LAN, and I was wondering if this would have
the same behavior?

This next question is simply about NT.  Prior to the domain logons, I had the NT
box set up as a workgroup.  In the profiles section, I had Profiles for
administrator, user1, user2, etc.  When I joined the domain, it created
adminstrator.000, user1.000, user2.000 in the profiles folder.  I assume the
000 suffix is created to have a different profile for each workgroup,domain for
each user?  When I get the roaming profiles working - do I just copy each of the
ntuser.dat files onto the server (one per user), and delete all of the local
profile folders?  I have to logon on as administrator for the workgroup to
access the original folder.  I guess there are two kinds of "root" logons in NT.
It won't let me view/delete profiles of users under the domain when I'm logged
into the workgroup, and vice versa.

The smb.conf file, so far it's working well.

[global]
     workgroup = WINDOWS
     netbios name = UPSTAIRS
     server string = Samba %v