change notify timeout Performance issue

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Fri Feb 11 16:12:26 GMT 2000

> I have just been upgrading my Samba servers from 1.9.18p10 to 2.0.6
>
> So far as I can tell users have been happy (or at least not noticed!).

[SNIP]

> Now as far as I can tell, I cannot turn off the change_notify function,
> is this correct?
>
> Will bad things happen if I raise the timeout value to say 10 minutes?

Well I have done this and nothing bad has been reported.

> Other there any other obvious performance gotchas going from 1.9.18p10 to
> 2.0.X?

Just to say that further performance comparisons indicate that with
"change notify timeout" set to 10 minutes (and probably down to 4 minutes),
the performance is not noticeably different in terms of server resources
consumed.

Things looked worse because the preceding week was inter-semester week and
there were fewer administrators around (!).  Picking a comparable day back
in December gave equivalent CPU usage.

Also checking MRTG graphs indicates comparable amounts of data in and out.

So basicly my server requirement fears are quelled.