lpd hangs in Samba Print Server

Roberto Mello robertom at ssit.usu.edu
Thu Feb 10 19:05:05 GMT 2000

	Hi folks,

	I have a Linux with Samba 2.0.6 Samba Print server here
with 10 remote HP JetDirect Printers configured in it. I
use the Samba server as spooling server and use most of
the printers with the "lpr -b -P%p %s" print command
(for binary printing) as described in the Samba
documentation.
	Each Printer has is configured in the smb.conf file
(this gives me more flexibility to configure the
printer).
	Everything works fine: the clients (Win9x / NT) can add
the printers, get the drivers (from a drivers share),
print, view the print queue, etc.
	The ONE THING that's been bugging me is that after a
client prints a bunch of jobs, lpd hangs and will stop
sening the jobs to the printer. If I restart lpd, it
will resume sending the jobs to the printers. When this
happens and I do a "lpq -Plpx" it shows me the
following:

	pserver.hsg.usu.edu: Warning no daemon present

	As a desperate measure (and to have my phone stop
ringing 10 times a second) I setup a cron job that will
restart lpd every 5 minutes.
	Anybody has any ideas, thoughts, solutions, please
?!?!?!

	Thanks,

	Roberto Mello